Family Law in Cornwall is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority Regn No 510776     


I regret I am not able to take on any new matters and am running down this practice in preparation for retirement.  However I am leaving this website up for the time being in the hope that some of the pages may provide information that is helpful                                                                                    

Family Law in Cornwall has been the specialist family law practice of Robert Waddell who is a solicitor in Cornwall. He has been in the legal profession and dealing with family law for over 40 years and has decided it is time to considser retirement.  He has been  a Resolution Accredited Specialist, remains a committed member of Resolution  and is a  Mediator and was a member of the Mental Health Review Tribunal Scheme for eighteen years.
What follows is left as it is a requirement of the Solicitors Regulation Authority it be on our website


 We hope that you will be happy with the work we undertake for you but recognise there may be times when you are not.  If you are dissatisfied for any reason please raise this with Robert Waddell as soon as possible either by speaking with him or writing to him.  He will aim to deal with the cause of your dissatisfaction. We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards. You can complain about a bill for which you may also have the right to apply to the Court for an assessment under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974 but if all or part of a bill remains unpaid we reserve the right to charge interest and to stop acting. We have a formal complaints procedure and if you would like a copy of this please ask.

 If you remain unhappy then you have the right to complain to the Legal Ombudsman ( although before you do that we will have explored other solutions such as an independent solicitor nominated by Cornwall Law Society under a conciliation scheme or mediation.

 Guidance from the Solicitors Regulation Authority is available here:

 What to do if we cannot resolve your complaint

The Legal Ombudsman can help you if we are unable to resolve your complaint ourselves. They will look at your complaint independently and it will not affect how we handle your case.

Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint


  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.

If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them.

Contact details


Call: 0300 555 0333 between 9.00 to 17.00.


Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ

What to do if you are unhappy with our behaviour

The Solicitors Regulation Authority can help if you are concerned about our behaviour. This could be for things like dishonesty, taking or losing your money or treating you unfairly because of your age, a disability or other characteristic.

Visit their website to see how you can raise your concerns with the Solicitors Regulation Authority.